Sunday, November 2, 2008

Abandoned

We just went away for the weekend, and I finished off my book! SHOCK HORROR. So I went looking for something else, and picked up Abandoned by Anya Peters.

Well, it blew me away.

Anya was abused by her uncle for years, emotionally and physically, and the first part of the book is about her childhood, and the rest is about her descent into depression and homelessness.
She writes well, like she is telling you the story -- and the subject is a terrible one but at no time did I feel that she was throwing a pity-party.
Quite the opposite, in fact - the amazing strength she shows in dragging herself back into lfe will astound you.

The thing that really struck me is the attitude many of us have towards homeless people - that they are not trying hard enough, or that they are too hard to think about - so we don't.
Reading Anyas' story, I was really struck by her need to retain some dignity - how desperately ashamed she was to have fallen so low -- and by how hard she fought to come back.

This is truly a remarkable story, and an amazingly brave woman.

If you would like to have a look at her blog, you can find the link on the right -- WanderingScribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me. I have only one request -- please keep it polite.
Thankyou.

xx