Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Selections 9 - the olden days

Today I'm joining in on Kims' Sunday Selections. Kim gives us the opportunity to show photos that might otherwise sit in the computer and never be seen.
These photos were all taken in Herberton, NQld; mostly in the Herberton Historic Village, which is well worth a visit.



Pure heaven for a font junkie, this set of typesetters' drawers is set up in a 'newspaper office' and still contains the original letters.

***

For some reason, I love old typewriters as well.
***



Details on an old farmhouse. Aren't they too beautiful?
***



The butchers' shop.
A sign on the wall warns against smoking and expectorating.
***


I walked past this fence a million times as a kid and never before noticed this stile. The kids were fascinated by it and wanted to climb over it. Into someones' garden. Yeah, nah. But I think if we ever own our own home, there is a good chance we might build a stile someplace.
***


Detail on the old School of Arts building. I'm not sure that the blue works.
***
In other news today -- if you want a laugh this morning, head on over to The Fish Cave

and read Starfish's hilarious Fake Tidy post. You'll be glad you did.

10 comments:

  1. As a journo, I'm very attracted to the pic of the typesetters' letters. I remember seeing some in our newspaper years ago. I'd love to know where they've gone.
    Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first picture of the tins stacked up. Looks like a nice place to spend the day. Heading over to the fish cave now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My my, aren't you the quick one?! No sooner had I posted then I got your great comment!

    I SO love Herberton - I actually have a (now historic) photo of the train that used to run between H and Atherton! Maybe one day I'll join in ... when I've run out of bizarre competition photos maybe!!

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to visit historical place, you captured the essence well, love how every day things can look so beautiful with the patina of age - or just that they don't make them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos Toni. That's the first picture of a stile I have ever seen anywhere. I've read about them, but never seen one. I think I'd like to have one if I ever had my own place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 1: WTF is expectorating????

    Number 2: I LOVE stiles. I always climb them every time I see one, just in case it's really a portal to a magical world...

    Number 3: Thank you so much for the link. I literally whooped out loud and jumped across the lounge room (My bf is now questioning my sanity and is considering disconnecting the internet).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the old stuff, there is an ancient printing press at the polytechnic and I really like the letters. I remember learning to type on a typewriter very similar to that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope that meat hanging in the butcher's shop isn't as antique as for instance the typewriter? Nah...
    Not sure about the blue either ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHhhhhhhh I am drooling, swooning and Ahhhhh-ing too .... stupendous images, I'm going back for a closer look, WOW, WOW ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to go on a holiday to NQLD to visit the Herberton Historic Village after seeing your post.

    I'm going to have to dig out my dictionary and look up expectorating.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me. I have only one request -- please keep it polite.
Thankyou.

xx