Wednesday, June 3, 2009

whooping cough

So there is whooping cough in our school at the moment. And my kids are not immunised, so they have to be home for 2 weeks, apparently.

Now this means that people are asking me why they are not in school, and I'm having to say that they aren't immunised, which I normally keep pretty quiet for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, I have researched the whole immunisation question quite thoroughly, and I'm making an informed decision. I respect YOUR right to immunise, and I don't tell people all the stuff I've read unless they ask.
To me, it's a personal decision.
You may feel that immunising is the right and safe choice for your child -- I have lost a child, I do know the pain of burying a child -- and I still choose not to immunise, so clearly I feel equally strongly that it is not safe and not right for my children.


Yet there are a lot of people who will get right in my face and insist that I'm a bad parent, that I am endangering their children, that I don't love my own kids -- etc etc.
Pretty disconcerting, especially since I really try not to tell anyone how to live their lives.

So if you are one of those people who has strong opinions about immunisation, please please, keep it to yourself. Or at least respect the fact that I have a different view.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Ya Toni,

    I agree it's nobody's business on what decisions you make for your children,making the decision to immunise or not is a big one...
    You've thought it thru and know the pro's and cons so why should it affect anyone else...
    Your the parent you alone know what is best FOR YOUR CHILD.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Toni, I could have written this myself. Do you have a private email and I will tell you my story? Tiff :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me. I have only one request -- please keep it polite.
Thankyou.

xx