Monday, November 12, 2012

cleaning

My two best cleaning tips (I feel so Martha Stewart!)

1. to clean a greasy pan (frying or roasting)

make a thick paste from bicarb (baking soda) and vinegar. Apply liberally over the whole pan and leave it a while. Go watch some tv or have a glass of wine.
When you're ready, rinse the pan with hot water and then wash normally. It should be squeaky clean.

2. to clean glass shower screens and doors

get yourself one of those dish washing wand thingys. You know, the one you fill with dish liquid and it has a foam pad scrubby dohickey on the end?

Well, fill it half and half with vinegar and dish liquid. Scrub it onto the glass and leave as long as possible before rinsing off. (have a glass of wine?)

You may need to do this a few times initially, if the build-up is bad, but it really does work. Then just once a week or so.
(the vinegar does the work. The dish liquid helps it stick to the glass)

Right. Time for wine.

9 comments:

  1. GREAT TIPS Toni .... especially the ones about the WINE !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh -- yes, they certainly get you through the day!!

      Delete
  2. A couple of extra wines and you probably won't care if the shower is sparkly or not.
    I tried baking soda and vinegar mix once and the smell made me sick, I've never done it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was up to me, I'd tear those bathrooms out and start again anyway. However, rented house = incessant worry over inspections.

      Delete
  3. Lurve vinegar and baking soda for cleaning. I am the opposite of River, I love watching it bubble and the clean fresh smell it gives off.

    Also, I react to so many chemicals, that this is a way to clean without making me sick. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! bleach makes me feel really dreadful, and so do all the commercially available shower cleaners.

      Delete
  4. I'm liking the visual of sitting on the loo with a glass of white watching my shower clean itself!!
    :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I tell you what, the person who invents the self-cleaning shower will be rich beyond his/her wildest dreams.
      Also, lauded by the housewives of the world.

      Delete
  5. i love cleaning my house..i always watch Lifestyle, they featured great tips about home decorating and more..i love watching it..

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me. I have only one request -- please keep it polite.
Thankyou.

xx