Wednesday, May 26, 2010

a trip to the museum

While on holiday, we went to the local museum (it's the Herberton Historical Village actually, and it's a MUST SEE if you're ever on the Atherton Tablelands.)
I remember the opening, and going out there on school trips, and I remember the day when a building was moved from our schoolyard to the museum, to make way for the new science/home-ec block.
Knowing that I would be in for a hard time from the kids over it, I made a point of regularly mentioning "oh and - hahaha - Mums' old school rooms are in a museum" hoping they would be over it by the time we got there. It pretty much worked.
It was so weird walking into the building as an adult, after 32 years (OMG is it THAT long???) and remembering things I had completely forgotten -- like, port racks. If you're not a Queenslander, this means "the place where you keep your school bag".
But the biggest surprise of all was running into my year 7 teacher, Mr C (who was doing some restoration work)
He took the kids into one of the classrooms, and took out a slate for them to write on, and showed them all kinds of cool olden days stuff, while I looked at the vintage maps and pictures and books and drooled.





After we left, I noticed my husband was very quiet. "Are you not enjoying yourself?" I asked.
Said he:
"I'm just trying to get over the fact that, not only is your school in a museum, but so is YOUR TEACHER!"

Cheeky bugger.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow Toni that is so interesting loved your story very "nostalgic"
    and such a shock to see your teacher. Love hubbys comment lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine seeing your teacher there!
    Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, yes. The olden days. What fun we had.........

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me. I have only one request -- please keep it polite.
Thankyou.

xx