Friday, December 9, 2011

making whoopie (s)

So.

Have you seen these little beauties doing the rounds yet? they're the Latest Thing.



They're Whoopie Pies, and they're DELISH. I know because I've been making them for about *ahem* twenty years or so. Which just goes to show I'm so far ahead of the rest of the world I could technically be it's mother.
I've been wearing a thumb ring and a toe ring since WAY before they became popular too. But I digress.

I found this recipe for Whoopie Pies in an Amish cookbook, and the recipe makes a LOT. Of BIG Pies. It says 15 pies, but that depends on how big you make them.
Also, their 'cream' filling is not so good. So you can substitute sweetened whipped cream, or a marshmallow type fluffy frosting.

* 4 cups plain flour
* 1 tspn baking soda
* 1 tspn baking powder
* 1 tspn salt (adjust that if you want!)
* 1 tblspn cream of tartar
* 1 cup cocoa powder
* 1 cup of soft butter
* 2 cups of sugar
* 2 tspns vanilla essence (less if you use extract)
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/3 cups soured milk

* sift the dry goods together
* cream the butter, sugar and vanilla, then add the eggs, 1 at a time
* add flour mix and milk to the butter alternately, mixing between

* use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pie, and drop onto lined baking sheets. They WILL spread a lot.

* bake in a mod oven for about 6 mins, then reverse the baking sheet, and bake for a further 10 mins.

* let stand on the sheet for 2 mins before placing them on a wire rack to cool.

The Pies should be soft, not crispy.

Sandwich a creamy filling between two Pies -- if you want you can roll the edge in 100s and 1000s or sprinkles or something, but they really don't need it.

* try not to eat them all yourself.


9 comments:

  1. Saw these 'new' sensations in the Womens Weekly - your version looks a bit less contrived. But how big is BIG?? And does the Amish cookbook say why they're called 'whoopies'??

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cos when they kids see them, they say WHOOPIE!!!

    BIG is maybe the size of a Nanas' snack fruit pie? only MUCH fatter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen my American friends going nuts for these on FB - eating themselves sick.

    I checked out the whoopie pies website. OMG. You could go nuts.

    That's a major sugar rush, right there. Look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap I think I'm in love. Ever since I made my daughter's birthday cake and it actually turned out, I've thought of myself as Donna Hay. Of course I'm going to have to try to make these, and I'll probably take a photo of them and show you (for your approval of course). Thanks for enlightening me with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO ahead of your time! I'm not sure I'm quite over the disaster that was the cake pop phenomenon at my place (lasted 5 months, sank without trace). But these look very tempting... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed with how cool you are. Not only are you 20 years ahead of the times, you own an Amish cookbook! What else is in there? x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amish recipes are so yummy but absolutely full of sugar and fat. Doesn't matter to them as much cos they work so hard physically, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mum bought me a "whoopie" cookbook about 2 yrs ago and I love 'em....especially the red velvet ones

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mum bought me a "whoopie" cookbook about 2 yrs ago...I 'specially like the red velvet ones....mmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear what you have to say even if you disagree with me. I have only one request -- please keep it polite.
Thankyou.

xx